Sunday, June 5, 2016

June Journaling 4-5

I found a list of daily prompts for journaling in June and thought I'd give it a shot. This one's pretty mundane.

4. A really good idea:

I'm planning a simple birthday party with hats, piñata, pizza, and cake. Everyone asks what I'll put in the piñata since other friends usually fill one with condoms and lube. I'm just gonna put candy in it. I really think my friends will most appreciate candy.

I had wanted to hire a petting zoo for my party, but my birthday is in August and they won't bring out the bunnies in the heat. Instead, I'll pay a visit to a free petting zoo in the area.

I'm turning 30 this year and am also considering entering a half marathon that takes place on my birthday. It has a really neat medal with my birthday on it and would make a really special memory, but August is brutal. I'm putting off registration to see how training goes between now and then before I decide. Waiting is definitely a really good idea.

5. The books in your to-read list:

The ones I've started and am working through:
  • Wonder Woman
  • Wired for Joy
  • Enthusiastic You
  • The Non-Designer's Design Book
  • Singled Out

Next:
  • Firebird
  • Geisha of Gion
  • Godslayer
I'm not sure how this is a journaling prompt, but I'm going to write a few more words to make it more like journaling.

I'm really enjoying the WW novel adaptation of the 2009 movie, reading it for a few minutes most evenings before bed. The next two are very badly edited and VERY difficult to get through. I'm reading the Design Book little by little at work; it's a good refresher. I got bored with Singled Out and put it down several months ago. It has lots of interesting info and I'd like to finish it, but the author's arrogant tone is distracting from the interesting research.

Firebird is a gorgeous Russian storybook that my sister gave me a while back. Geisha of Gion is written by the actual woman from Memoirs of a Geisha, but Memoirs was written by a white man who outed her against her wishes with the publication. Godslayer is the second half of a duology, the first being a strange departure from the author's usual style. Mostly it frustrated me because I couldn't figure out who the protagonist is.

I was an avid reader most of my life, but I don't read many books anymore. After editing all day at work, all I want to do is turn off my brain and watch TV when I get home. I'm trying to make it a habit to read a little before bed, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment