Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Choice 5k Fun Run/Walk

A few weeks ago I found out that the Life Walk 5k anti-choice event is being held on MY favorite running trail. I went to gripe on Facebook about the violation with the idea that I might go out and run my own 5k on the spot before the first wave while wearing a pro-choice tee. But I had complained to the Skepchick Quickies, a group of skeptic, feminist activists and runners, and within a few hours found myself organizing a full-fledged charity run counter-event.

The Choice 5k Fun Run/Walk will begin at 9 a.m. October 19 at the Oak Point Nature Preserve in Plano, from 5901 Los Rios Blvd., the parking lot on the north side of the preserve. There is no registration fee, and we are asking interested parties to participate locally and virtually and to donate online to Planned Parenthood, the Texas Equal Access Fund, and/or local women's health charities of your choosing.

Wear pink, wear orange, wear uteruses, wear costumes, make signs. We’ll have photographers. Bring your friends, your kids, strollers, and dogs. See the Facebook page (linked above) for site rules and event schedule.

I'm really excited to see this event grow.

Edited to add: Skepchick gave us a shout-out.

No comments:

Post a Comment