Thursday, March 31, 2016

A Quarterly Recap



It’s about time for a quarterly update/recap.

This year I’ve been accepted as an ENELL Race Ambassador to promote my favorite athletic gear, and ENELL is sponsoring me in my first Olympic-distance triathlon (happening May 22) and at the Plano Balloon Festival Half Marathon this fall. The Olympic distance means I’ll be swimming a mile in a lake followed immediately by bicycling 25 miles and then running 6.2 miles. I’m definitely nervous about the undertaking, but training is going well so far.

I’m looking forward to a Labor-Day-weekend family reunion (that’s Mom’s mom’s side of the family) in Nebraska and taking a few extra days to visit my best friend in Omaha. I’m still living in Richardson with two housemates and three cats and loving it.

December marked four years working for my company. This year I joined the health and safety committee at work to generate ideas for workplace wellness and safety initiatives. As fond as I am of fitness in my personal life, it’s especially important to me to make sure the company’s ideas are safe, inclusive, accessible, and equitable for everyone interested in participating.

After performing in the DFW Vagina Monologues stage production for two years, I chose to work behind this scenes this year as a producer for the show, submitting promotional information to local publications and helping out with our fundraising events. This year we raised $2,300 for Hope’s Door, a domestic violence shelter and community outreach organization in Plano, Texas, putting our total fundraising in the last three years at over $6k!

            I just went to Galveston this weekend with little brother for a beach getaway. We had a blast at the Moody Gardens ropes course and zipline, got ice cream at the old-fashioned ice cream parlor and confectionary on The Strand (La King’s), swam a bit in the ocean, and visited the Pirates! Museum and its neighboring haunted house. I also got up early Sunday for a long training run along the seawall. There are many more attractions we’d like to see, so I hope we get to go again before summer gets too hot.

How is 2016 treating you so far?

No comments:

Post a Comment