Friday, January 3, 2014

Happy Mew Year

I don't really do New Year's Resolutions because it seems like nothing more than setting yourself up for failure. That said, I've signed up for some races and have a few hopes for the year.


I'll be running my first Tough Mudder, a 12-mile, multi-obstacle, team event (untimed, so not a race) in May with some coworkers. I hear it's a piece of cake compared to Spartan Races, so I may sign up for the Heels and Hills Half Marathon the day before. I completed a HandH half in 2011, but volunteers frequently stopped us along the course due to incoming hail, and the route was shortened by a half mile before I finished, so it feels hollow to say that I've completed a half marathon when I only kind of sort of have.

I'd like to get 200 participants in the Choice 5k, and this can include virtual participants. I need to pick a date and begin the permit process pretty soon here. Last spring I participated in a grassroots charity 5k event that a high-schooler organized to raise awareness for an American POW in Afghanistan. Over 150 people participated in the Plano event, which was one of 80+ across the nation and was only promoted by word of mouth. That's why I chose 200.

I had had my heart set on starting the Four Seasons Challenge with the February 2 Texas Half Marathon in Irving, but I've had to accept that my training is very slow-going, that I seem to be injury-prone, and that I need to give myself more time than the common beginner training programs, even though I'm not a beginner runner. The Challenge includes four specific race events to be completed in succession in one year and allows participants to run 4 halfs, 3 halfs and a full, or 2 and 2, the last being my goal. So I'm pushing the start back 6 months to run the Hottest Half in August, which will be easier on my wallet and knock out the worst event first. That leaves the Tyler Rose Marathon on Oct. 5 and the next two events in 2015.

A week after the Hottest Half, assuming I don't succumb to heat stroke, I'll be running the Disneyland Half Marathon in California with my bff. We have our hotel and flights booked and are just waiting for race registration to open at the end of January. We talked about visiting the wine country while we're there but learned that's on the opposite end of the state, whereas Tijuana is only a 2-hour drive. Partay.

I registered for a Virtual Decathlon Challenge through the Fit Fatties Forum and completed the first leg, a stair climb, yesterday. I'll choose my other events from the following list: 
  • 1 mile walk/run/roll
  • 5k walk/run/roll
  • 10k walk/run/roll
  • Half Marathon walk/run/roll
  • Marathon walk/run/roll
  • Swim – quarter mile (8 x 50m)
  • Swim – half mile (16 x 50m)
  • Get in the Flow - 60 of work with flow toy, such as poi, staff, juggling, dance/fire fans, rola bola, balance ball, aerial silks or hoop, meteor
  • Shimmy it Out (30 minute shimmy–can switch shimmy location through event)
  • Squat it Out (Do 100 squats in one day.)
  • Take a Hike (Enjoy at least a mile of the great outdoors.)
  • Take a Tread (Enjoy at least a mile of the great indoors.  Walk on the treadmill, elliptical or other machine, or just walk around inside.)

I had a nice full-body selfie but had to crop it for boob sweat. You know how it is.

I saw that a couple of my friends on Facebook are undertaking daily photo challenges, so I decided to start a(nother) 365 project myself and snap a photo daily to share. I've begun and failed in the past and don't expect to do better this time, but I have a new camera and will benefit from the effort and improve my photography skills either way.

Jan. 1: Day 1

After practicing a full year of intuitive eating, I feel like I might be ready to begin to eat more deliberately to support my running and maximize my fitness potential. We'll see.

I didn't get the sub-30 5k that I'd hoped for last year, so I'll try again this year. I did it once in 2010 and need to cut 5 or 6 minutes to do it again.

I'm really looking forward to participating again in the Rugged and Raaw 10k/20k trail race and seeing how much I can improve over my 1:47 finish last year.

One clear resolution is to quit wasting my time and money on gimmicky for-profit, un-timed 5k events. I had fun at a few last year and really hated others.The Black Light Run on Feb. 1 is the last one I'm signed up for, and I'll think twice before registering for any others this year, though I think I would like to run Plano's Splash Dash again.

Beyond that, I plan to work to become harder, better, faster, stronger.

No comments:

Post a Comment