Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Granbury Getaway

My aunt invited me for a weekend getaway in Granbury because she loves antiquing and there happens to be a fairly well-known local brewery there.

We left Saturday morning and arrived at Revolver Brewing shortly before noon. A $10 per-person fee got us a Revolver beer glass, samples of everything on tap, and four full (8 oz) pours. My aunt didn't finish her first pour because she's not much of a beer drinker, and I only managed a glass and a half myself: first Mother's Little Fracker stout and then their Blood & Honey American ale.

The brewery also offers some pretty cool gear, and I couldn't resist a new gray hoodie for myself. They run SUPER small, though, and I had to go up two sizes from my usual. By 1 PM the place was filling up with people there to enjoy the live band. I can see how it would be a fun all-day event with friends, but we'd had our fill and left before the brewery 1:30 tour.

We checked into our hotel and then set out for the historic square to browse the shops. Unfortunately, many of the shops were much too warm, their proprietors seemingly ignorant of customers' heavy coats and warm layers, so we left some quickly. About halfway around the square, my aunt needed a rest, so we stopped at Farina's for a late lunch. We ordered the Muffalletta sandwich, piled high with prosciutto, ham, salami, banana peppers, and olives. I definitely recommend it.

We had a great haul that day. After splitting a slice of birthday-cake-flavored fudge, I got two pairs of leggings, a purple cropped peasant blouse, a mulled cider candle, and a cute mouse figurine. My aunt snuck back to a shop and bought me a handmade doll I'd been eyeing and a little glass bunny for my dollhouse. She also got some soups, trinkets, and a cool Santa for her collection.

That evening we saw A Closer Walk with Patsy Cline from the front row of the Granbury Opera House, a lovely venue. The lead was an amazing singer and the show was fantastic. We were both surprised at how much we enjoyed it, not knowing what to expect going in. The program listed some pretty good shows coming up this year, so we might have to go back for those.

After retiring for the night, I got up early to squeeze in a long training run and was confronted by a thick, soupy fog, setting the perfect unsettling scene for my Zombies! Run mission that morning. The 7 a.m. Sunday jog was more eventful than I'd have liked, but I'll tell you about it next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment