Thursday, February 18, 2016

A Hard Ride

Training has a lot of ups and downs. I had a rough bike ride today, and Lizard Brain is really letting it get to me. This morning I found myself woefully under-dressed for the chilly lake air and cut my ride short due to an under-inflated tire, the cold, and the perpetual pain my vulva feels whenever I ride.*

This is the second time I've touched my bike since that godawful Labor Day triathlon.


Logic Brain knows a 30-minute ride "ain't nothin," I'll be better prepared next time, and I've got enough time before my races to get where I need to be (a mid-March Sprint and late-May Oly). And, remember, I had an AWESOME 5-mile run last night.

But feelings don't listen to Logic Brain.

There is no small bit of fear floating around in here that I've bitten off more than I can chew by signing up for that late-May Olympic-distance triathlon (1-mile swim + 24.1-mile ride + 10k run). I can comfortably swim and bike 1/3 of those distances and do 2/3 of that run.

Putting them all together, though? I've got a long way to go.

And now it occurs to me that my emotional responses may be wrecked by this Sunday's and Monday's migraines, and I'll probably be okay soon enough. That would explain . . . a lot of this week.

*I have an appointment Tuesday for a bike fitting. I should have done it a long time ago, certainly before my 15 miles of tears at the Labor Day tri, but the "cheap" service is a whopping $75. I don't know how anyone can afford this sport.

No comments:

Post a Comment